XADM: The Service Cannot Accept Control Messages at This Time
This article was previously published under Q180001
This article was written about products for which Microsoft no longer offers support. Therefore, this article is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
When you attempt to stop the Microsoft Exchange Server System Attendantservice, the following error may occur:
The service cannot accept control messages at this time.
Microsoft Windows NT
ID no 0xc0020425
If you try to stop the service manually with the following command
NET STOP MSExchangeSA
the following error message appears:
The service cannot be controlled in its present state.
In Event Viewer there is no indication of problems with the service.
The System Attendant service has become unstable.
To work around this problem of the service being in an "uncontrollable"state, do one of the following:
- Restart the server to allow the service to be forcibly shut down and restarted with the server startup.
- Use the Windows NT Resource Kit tool Kill.exe to terminate the Mad.exe process. Please refer to the Resource Kit documentation for more information.
Article ID: 180001 - Last Review: 10/28/2006 16:51:36 - Revision: 3.3
- Microsoft Exchange Server 4.0 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Exchange Server 5.0 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Exchange Server 5.5 Standard Edition