Troubleshooting: How to Remove and Reinstall a Program
This article was previously published under Q180027
This article has been archived. It is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
When you experience a problem with a Microsoft program, you may need toreinstall the program to troubleshoot issues that can be caused by missingor damaged files. When you reinstall the program, you may be presentedwith the following installation options:
- Remove All
The Remove All installation option removes all of the program's files,including damaged files, but does not remove any files you created usingthe program. This option enables you to reinstall all the program files.
To reinstall a program, run the Setup program from the program disks orCD-ROM. Instructions about how to install the program are printed on thedisks or the CD-ROM jewel case insert. If the program is designed forWindows 95, you can also reinstall the program by using the followingsteps:
- Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
- Double-click Add/Remove Programs.
- Click the program you want to reinstall, and then click Add/Remove.
- Run the Setup program from the program disks or CD-ROM, or run the Setup program using the Add/Remove Programs tool in Control Panel as described in steps 1-3 above.
- Click Remove All. If you are prompted to confirm the removal, click Yes.
- Restart the computer.
- Run ScanDisk to check the hard disk for lost clusters and errors, and to test the integrity of the hard disk. To run ScanDisk, use the following steps:
- Click Start, and then click Run.
- In the Open box, type scandisk, and then click OK.
- Click the hard disk you want to check for errors.
- Under Type Of Test, click Thorough, and then click Start.
NOTE: If you have more than one hard disk installed in your computer, run ScanDisk on each hard disk.
- If the program is installed from a CD-ROM, gently wipe the underside of the CD-ROM with a soft, lint-free cloth to remove any fingerprints, smudges, or dust.
- Reinstall the program.
Article ID: 180027 - Last Review: 12/05/2015 08:20:25 - Revision: 1.1
Microsoft Windows 95
- kbnosurvey kbarchive kbhowto kbsetup KB180027