How to Use Con2prt.exe to Connect to a Network Printer
This article was previously published under Q181663
This article has been archived. It is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
This article describes how to use the Con2prt.exe tool included with theZero Administration Kit for Windows NT 4.0 (ZAK) to connect to a networkprinter. You are not required to install ZAK to use the Con2prt.exe tool.
The Con2prt.exe tool is a command-line utility for adding or removingnetwork printers on Windows NT-based computers. You can use theCon2prt.exe tool in a Windows NT login script or in conjunction with anunattended setup of Windows NT. To install a network printer with theCon2prt.exe tool, use the appropriate method.
Run the Con2prt.exe Tool from a Login ScriptUse the Con2prt.exe tool to connect to a network printer in a Windows NTlogin script. To do so, follow these steps:
- Copy the Con2prt.exe tool to the %SystemRoot% folder of the Windows NT-based client computer.
- Configure your Windows NT login script to run the Con2prt.exe tool.
Run the Con2prt.exe Tool from a Batch File on the Distribution ShareUse a batch file located in the $$ folder of your Windows NT Setupdistribution share to run the Con2prt.exe tool. You can automate theinstallation of the batch file with the tools used for an unattendedinstallation of Windows NT. To do so, follow these steps:
- Copy the Con2prt.exe file to the $$ folder that is located in the $OEM$ folder of your Windows NT Setup distribution share.
- Create a batch file in the $$ folder that runs the Con2prt.exe tool.
NOTE: Files located in the $$ folder of the distribution share are copied to the %SystemRoot% folder of the Windows NT-based client computer during Windows NT Setup.
- Confirm that your Unattend.txt file contains the following entry in the [unattended] section:
OEMPreInstall = yes
- Configure your Cmdlines.txt file to run a registry file that places the command to run your batch file in the Run key of the registry on the Windows NT-based client computer.
NOTE: You cannot run the Con2prt.exe tool directly from the Cmdlines.txt file.
Article ID: 181663 - Last Review: 12/05/2015 08:26:12 - Revision: 4.2
Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional Edition, Microsoft Zero Administration Kit for Windows NT Workstation 4.0
- kbnosurvey kbarchive kbhowto KB181663