Unable to Start the Server Service
- When you attempt to start the Server service from the Services tool in Control Panel, you may receive the following error message:
Could not start the Server service on \\<Computer Name>. Error 1058: The specified service is disabled and cannot be started.
- When you attempt to start the Server service from a command prompt, you may receive the following error message:System error 1058 has occurred.
The specified service is disabled and cannot be started.
- When you attempt to enable the Server service for the current hardware profile, the current hardware profile may be missing from the list of profiles or the Enable button may be unavailable.
NOTE: This behavior does not occur if you have Windows NT preinstalled on a Dell computer shipped from the factory that was manufactured after 4/6/99.
Method 1Contact Dell Computer Corp. to inquire about the availability of an updateto address this issue. For more information about hardware and software vendor contact information, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
Method 2WARNING: Using Registry Editor incorrectly can cause serious problems thatmay require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannotguarantee that problems resulting from the incorrect use of Registry Editorcan be solved. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.
For information about how to edit the registry, view the "Changing Keys AndValues" Help topic in Registry Editor (Regedit.exe) or the "Add and DeleteInformation in the Registry" and "Edit Registry Data" Help topics inRegedt32.exe. Note that you should back up the registry before you edit it.
Delete the following registry keys, and then restart Windows NT:
NOTE: To remove the keys noted in the article, you must increase security on "Everyone" to full control and then propagate throughout the subfolders using Regedt32.exe.
- Dell Dimension XPS H266
- Dell Dimension XPS D300
- Dell Dimension XPS R400
- Dell Optiplex GX1P/T+ (P3/500)
- Dell Optiplex GX1/m+ (PII/450)
Article ID: 181835 - Last Review: 10/31/2006 19:06:04 - Revision: 1.2
- kberrmsg kbnetwork kbprb KB181835