WD97: Single-Spaced Paragraphs Convert to Double-Spaced in HTML
This article was previously published under Q185036
This article has been archived. It is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
When you convert a single-spaced Microsoft Word document to HypertextMarkup Language (HTML) format, and view it in a Web browser, there aredouble-spaced lines between the paragraphs.
This behavior is by design of Microsoft Word. When converting a paragraphto HTML, Word places a <p> tag at the beginning of the line and a </p> tagat the end of the line. Web browsers display these tags as double-spacedlines between the paragraphs.
To prevent double spacing between paragraphs, use the appropriate methodfor your situation.
Method 1: Use Prior to Converting an Existing Document to HTML FormatPrior to saving your document in HTML format, change the paragraph marks toline breaks. To do this, follow these steps:
- Open your Word document.
- On the Edit menu, click Replace. If there is a More button in the Find And Replace dialog box, click it.
- Click to place the insertion point in the Find What box. Click Special and then click Paragraph Mark. "^p" appears in the Find What box.
- Click to place the insertion point in the Replace With box, click Special and then click Manual Line Break. "^l" appears in the Replace With box.
- Click Replace All. Click OK. Click Close.
Method 2: Use After Converting the Document to HTML FormatIf you have already converted the document to HTML format, view the HTMLcodes and replace paragraph tags with line break tags. To do this, followthese steps:
- In Word, open the HTML document.
- On the View menu, click HTML Source.
- On the Edit menu, click Replace.
- In the Find What box, type </P>. In the Replace With box, type <br>, and then click Replace All. Click OK.
- In the Find What box, type <P>. Delete the entry in the Replace With box, and then click Replace All. Click OK.
- Click Close.
- On the File menu, click Save.
- On the View menu, click Exit HTML Source.
Method 3: To create single space between paragraphs in a HTML documentTo create an HTML document with single-spaced lines between the paragraphs,press SHIFT+ENTER at the end of each paragraph. This is the keystroke for amanual line break. You can do this with a regular Word document or with anHTML Word document.
HTML code also uses a <br> to represent a line break. If a <br> is usedinstead of a <p>, the document will appear single-spaced.
Article ID: 185036 - Last Review: 12/05/2015 08:37:52 - Revision: 1.1
Microsoft Word 97 Standard Edition
- kbnosurvey kbarchive kbconversion kbprb kbweb KB185036