Recommended practices for WINS
This article was previously published under Q185786
This article has been archived. It is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
This article discusses the recommended practices for implementing theWindows Internet Name Service (WINS). Following these practices shoulddecrease the occurrence of WINS problems.
- It is highly recommended that a WINS server point to itself as primary and secondary WINS in the TCP/IP configuration.For additional information, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:150737 Setting Primary and Secondary WINS Server Options
- It is highly recommended to use the correct ratio of WINS servers to WINS clients. A general rule is to have one WINS server for each 10,000 users plus one additional WINS server for redundancy. The redundant server does not have to be located at the same site.
For additional information on WINS Ratios, please see the following White Paper available on the Microsoft anonymous ftp server:File Name: Winswp.doc
Location : ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/bussys/winnt/winnt-docs/papers/
Title : "Windows Internet Naming Service (WINS)" (Page 44)
- It is highly recommended to use a hub and spoke replication model.For additional information, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:168076 WINS Fails to Converge-and-Page 24 of the WINS White Paper mentioned earlier.
- It is highly recommended to periodically run Jetpack (for example, once a month or once a quarter).For additional information, click the article numbers below to view the articles in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:167812 WINS and DHCP Dynamic Database Compaction in Windows NT 4.0145881 How to use Jetpack.exe To Compact a WINS or DHCP Database
- Multihomed WINS servers require additional configuration in order for replication to occur.For additional information about how to configure multihomed WINS servers, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:139380 Multihomed WINS Server Replication Partner Failures
- It is highly recommended to not use static entries for WINS clients.
177140 How to Remove Static WINS Entries from All WINS Servers
For additional information, click the article numbers below to view the articles in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
135844 WINS Manager Shows WINS Servers That are Not Present
137423 How to Reregister Services in WINS
139608 SMB Traffic During Windows NT Domain Logon
168712 How to Manually Recreate a WINS Database
127897 WINSADMN Database Active Column Symbol Descriptions
139410 Error Message: There are Currently No Logon Servers Available...
135405 Repairing a Corrupted WINS Database with Starting Version Count.
Article ID: 185786 - Last Review: 12/05/2015 08:40:49 - Revision: 1.3
Microsoft Windows 2000 Server, Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server, Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0 Standard Edition, Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition (32-bit x86), Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition (32-bit x86)
- kbnosurvey kbarchive kbinfo KB185786