Error 691: The Computer You Are Dialing in to Cannot Establish a Dial-Up Networking Connection
- You have set up the CompuServe service from the Online Services folder on the Start menu and you have not connected to CompuServe by using the CompuServe software included in Windows 98.
NOTE: The CompuServe setup program does not complete until you connect to CompuServe to set up the default Dial-Up Networking setting.
- The Telephon.ini file is missing or damaged.
- Your ISP uses a different file than the Rasapi32.dll file to verify the connection.
- The Rasapi32.dll file is a different version than the Rasapi32.dll file that is included with Windows 98.
Create a New Telephon.ini FileTo create a new Telephon.ini file, follow these steps:
- Rename the Telephon.ini file located in the \Windows folder to Telephon.old.
- Restart the computer.
- Double-click the Tapiini.exe file located in the \Windows\System folder. Note that the program runs very quickly. The Tapiini.exe file creates a new Telephon.ini file in the \Windows folder.
Connect to CompuServeTo connect to CompuServe by using the CompuServe softwareincluded in Windows 98, follow these steps:
- Click Start, point to Programs, point to Online Services, point to CompuServe, and then click CompuServe 4.0.
- Click Setup.
- Type your member name, member ID, and password, and then click OK.
- Click Internet.
- Click Yes when you are prompted to use Dial-Up Networking to connect to the Internet.
- Click the appropriate country, and then click OK.
- After you connect to CompuServe, log off CompuServe, and then restart your computer.
Verify the Version of Rasapi32.dllTo verify that the current version of Rasapi32.dll is the file included in Windows, check that the value data in the Path value of the following registry key is Rasapi32.dll:
NOTE: After you rename and recreate the Telephon.ini file in Windows 98, you need to enter your dialing information again.For additional information about Remote Access Server, click the article numbers below to view the articles in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Article ID: 188120 - Last Review: 06/22/2014 19:03:00 - Revision: 2.0
- kberrmsg kbprb KB188120