This article describes how to disable and re-enable the Dr. Watson programfor Windows.
This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
How to back up and restore the registry in Windows
Because there are several versions of Microsoft Windows, the following steps may be different on your computer. If they are, see your product documentation to complete these steps.
To have us fix this problem for you, go to the "Here's an easy fix
" section. If you prefer to fix this problem manually, go to the "Let me fix it myself
Here's an easy fix
To fix this problem automatically, click the Download
button. In the File Download
dialog box, click Run
, and then follow the steps in the easy fix wizard.
- This wizard may be in English only. However, the automatic fix also works for other language versions of Windows.
- If you’re not on the computer that has the problem, save the easy fix solution to a flash drive or a CD, and then run it on the computer that has the problem.
Disable Dr. Watson
Enable Dr. Watson
Let me fix it myself
To disable Dr. Watson
- Click Start, click Run, type regedit.exe in the Open box, and then click OK.
- Locate and then click the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AeDebugNOTE: Steps three and four are optional, However, they are necessary if you want to restore the default use of Dr. Watson.
- Click the AeDebug key, and then click Export Registry File on the Registry menu.
- Type a name and location for the saved registry file, and then click Save.
- Delete the AeDebug key.
Registry entries for debugger programs are located in the AeDebug key in Windows. The Dr. Watson program is installed by default in Windows, and is configured to run when an application error occurs (with a data value of 1 for the Auto value). The default values are as follows:
Value Name = Auto
Type = String (REG_SZ)
Data Value = 1 or 0. (Default is 1)
Value Name = Debugger
Type = String (REG_SZ)
Data Value = drwtsn32 -p %ld -e %ld -g
NOTE: This data value (drwtsn32 -p %ld -e %ld -g) is specific to Dr. Watson. Alternative debuggers will have their own values and parameters.
To enable Dr. Watson
- At a command prompt, type the following line, and then press ENTER:
- Double-click the .reg file that you created in steps three and four that were discussed earlier.
id this fix the problem?
Check whether the problem is fixed. If the problem is fixed, you are finished with this section. If the problem is not fixed, you can contact support
fixit fix it fixme