XADM: How to Delete a Server from a Site
Read this entire article before beginning the process.
- Verify that there are no mail connectors on this server. If there are, bring up another connector in the site and verify mail flow. Next, remove the connector or connectors on the server to be deleted. Retest message flow.
- Run Setup.exe from the Exchange Server CD, and then select the Remove Alloption.
Alternatively, you can stop the services on the Exchange Server computer that you want to delete. However, note that if you do not run the Remove All option, certain objects that are related to this server may be left in the organization.
- Connect using the Exchange Administrator program to another server within the same site. Be sure to connect while logged in as the Exchange Service account or an account with equivalent privileges.
- Select the server you want to delete. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
- If this is the first server in the site, follow the steps in the following Knowledge Base article:152959 XADM: How to Remove the First Exchange Server in a Site
- If this server is the public folder server, add replicas of the folders that are homed on this server to another server within the same site.
NOTE: The folders will be rehomed to the first server in this site listed on the replicas page.
- If this server is the distribution list expansion server for the site, you must change the distribution list expansion server attribute for all distribution lists homed on this site to "Any server in the site", or choose another server in the site to be the expansion server.
If a new expansion server is not configured, you may have the problem discussed in the following Knowledge Base article:154537 XCON: Congestion in Message Transfer Service, Sending to DL
- If the Exchange Server computer you are removing is the only version of its kind within the site and is a later version than the existing servers, another server of that same version should be added to the site prior to the removal of this server.
If any connectors, other than site or X400, are installed on this server, the connectors need to be moved to another server in the site.
If Key Management Server is installed on this server, it must be moved to another server. For additional information on moving the KM Server to another server, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Article ID: 189286 - Last Review: 10/26/2013 04:04:00 - Revision: 6.0
- kbnosurvey kbarchive kbhowto KB189286