Frequently asked questions about Fpexedll.dll
What is Fpexedll.dll?The Fpexedll.dll file is installed with the FrontPage Server Extensions on Microsoft Internet Information Services (IIS) to provide backward compatibility with Microsoft FrontPage for Windows, version 1.1, and Microsoft FrontPage for the Macintosh, version 1.0.
When authoring on an IIS-based Web server, FrontPage versions 1.0 and 1.1 make requests for the older CGI-based Server Extension files (Shtml.exe, Author.exe, and Admin.exe) rather than the newer ISAPI-based files (Shtml.dll, Author.dll, and Admin.dll) as they are known in FrontPage 97 and later. The Fpexedll.dll filter examines every HTTP request coming into the system and, if a request is for one of the CGI-based executable files, the Fpexedll.dll filter converts the URL so that the corresponding ISAPI-based dynamic-link library (.dll) file is called.
Do I need to use Fpexedll.dll?The Fpexedll.dll ISAPI filter only provides backward-compatibility with FrontPage versions 1.0 and 1.1. If you are not using these versions of FrontPage, you do not need to use this filter. You can safely remove any references to the filter from your IIS configuration.
Note There is no need to physically delete the DLL file from your hard disk.
When should I remove IIS references to Fpexedll.dll?
- If there are two references to the Fpexedll.dll file listed in your IIS configuration, remove one of them. The remaining reference should point to the correct location of Fpexedll.dll, depending on which version of the FrontPage Server Extensions is installed.
- If there is only one reference to Fpexedll.dll, make sure that no clients are authoring against the server using either FrontPage 1.0 or FrontPage 1.1. If there are no such clients, you can remove the reference to Fpexedll.dll. It serves no functional purpose and could theoretically slow requests that are processed by IIS.
Where is Fpexedll.dll physically stored?The physical location of Fpexedll.dll depends on the version of the FrontPage Server Extensions that you are using:
- FrontPage 2002 Server Extensions or SharePoint Team Services from Microsoft
Drive:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\50\Bin\Fpexedll.dll
- FrontPage 2000 Server Extensions
Drive:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\40\Bin\Fpexedll.dll
- FrontPage 98 Server Extensions
Drive:\Program Files\Microsoft FrontPage\version3.0\Bin\Fpexedll.dll
- FrontPage 97 Server Extensions
Drive:\Program Files\Microsoft FrontPage\Bin\Fpexedll.dll
- IIS versions 4.0, 5.0, and 5.1
In the Master WWW properties under ISAPI Filters.
Note If you are using FrontPage 2002 Server Extensions, there may be references in the ISAPI Filters list for each Web site that has the Server Extensions installed. For additional information, please see the "References" section later in this article.
- IIS versions 2.0 and 3.0
In the following registry subkey:
How do I remove references to Fpexedll.dll from IIS 4.0 and later?To remove references for Fpexedll.dll from an server based on IIS 4.0 and later, follow these steps:
- Open the Internet Services Manager. To do this, follow the steps for your version of IIS.
- For IIS 4.0:
- On the Windows Start menu, point to Programs, and then click Windows NT 4.0 Option Pack.
- Click Microsoft Internet Information Server.
- Select Internet Service Manager.
- For IIS 5.0:
- On the Windows Start menu, point to Programs, and then click Administrative Tools.
- Select Internet Services Manager.
- For IIS 5.1:
- Open Control Panel.
- Double-click Administrative Tools.
- Double-click Internet Information Services.
- For IIS 4.0:
- Right-click the computer name and then click Properties on the menu that appears.
- Click Edit to edit the Master Properties for the WWW Service.
- Click the ISAPI Filters tab.
- Select Fpexedll.dll and click Remove. There may be more than one entry; remove them all.
Note There is no need to physically delete the DLL file from your hard drive.
How do I remove references to Fpexedll.dll from IIS 2.0 or IIS 3.0?Warning If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.
To remove Fpexedll.dll from a server based on IIS 2.0 or 3.0, follow these steps:
- On the Start menu, click Run.
- In the Open box, type Regedt32 and click OK.
- Locate the following registry subkey:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/System/CurrentControlSet/Services/W3SVC/Parameters/Filter Dlls
- Double-click this subkey to edit it.
- Delete the reference to the Fpexedll.dll file and, if necessary, the semicolon (";") separator between it and the next filter. For example, for FrontPage 98 delete the following:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft FrontPage\version3.0\bin\Fpexedll.dll;Do not delete references to other DLLs that precede or follow the reference to the Fpexedll.dll file.
- Quit Registry Editor.
Article ID: 189799 - Last Review: 01/23/2007 15:46:36 - Revision: 2.3
- kbwebserver kbwebpublishing kbfaq kbuninstall kbinfo KB189799