Error Message: VMM32.VXD: Missing/Unable to Load
This article was previously published under Q191874
This article has been archived. It is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
If this article does not describe your hardware-related issue, please see the following Microsoft Web site to view more articles about hardware:
When you start Windows, you may receive the following error message:
VMM32.VXD: Missing/Unable to Load. Press any key to continue.Pressing any key causes the "Shutdown" screen to appear.
This behavior can occur for either of the following reasons:
- This behavior can occur if the Umaxis11.386 file is being loaded from the System.ini file. This file is used by UMAX scanner software.
- This behavior can be caused by a file that is used by the Genius scanner software. The Genius scanner file is named Smis11.386.
UMAX Scanner SoftwareTo resolve this issue, contact UMAX to inquire about the availability ofa fix for this issue. Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.
To work around this issue, follow these steps:
- Restart your computer with a Windows Startup disk.
- Type the following lines, pressing ENTER after each line:c:
- Press ALT+S, and then press F.
- Type umaxis11.386, and then press ENTER.
- Disable the line containing "Umaxis11.386" by placing a semicolon (;)at the beginning of the line.
- Press ALT+F, press X, and then press Y.
- Remove the Windows Startup disk, and then restart your computer.
Genius Scanner SoftwareTo resolve this issue, contact Genius to inquire about the availability of a fix. For updated Genius scanner software, visit the Genius Web site:
The third-party products that are discussed in this article are manufactured by companies that are independent of Microsoft. Microsoft makes no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding the performance or reliability of these products.
HWIMAEM find vistascan w98hemjul vmm32
Article ID: 191874 - Last Review: 12/05/2015 09:11:28 - Revision: 2.2
Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition, Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition, Microsoft Windows 98 Standard Edition, Microsoft Windows 95
- kbnosurvey kbarchive kb3rdparty kberrmsg kbprb KB191874