Fatal Exception Error Message in VXD IOS(04)
This article has been archived. It is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
If this article does not describe the error message that you are receiving, view the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article to view more articles that describe error messages:
Windows 98 and Windows Me Error Message Resource Center
When you start your Windows 98-based computer, you may receive thefollowing error message on a blue screen:
A Fatal Exception 0E has occurred at 0028:xxxxx in VXD IOS(04). The current application will be terminated
This issue can occur if the Sb16.vxd file is located in theWindows\System\Iosubsys folder.
To resolve this issue, rename the Sb16.vxd file in theWindows\System\Iosubsys folder. To do so, use the following steps:
- Restart your computer, press and hold down the CTRL key, and then choose Safe Mode from the Startup menu.
- Click Start, point to Find, and then click Files Or Folders.
- In the Named box, type "sb16.vxd" (without quotation marks), and then click Find Now.
- In the list of found files, right-click the Sb16.vxd file that is located in Windows\System\Iosubsys folder, and then click Rename.
- Type "sb16.old" (without quotation marks), press ENTER, and then restart your computer.
98 Sb16 vxd
Article ID: 192925 - Last Review: 01/10/2015 11:35:22 - Revision: 2.0
- kbnosurvey kbarchive kbenv kberrmsg kbfatalexerr0e kbprb KB192925