How to Hide the Security Tab
This article was previously published under Q193826
This article has been archived. It is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
This article describes how to hide the Security tab of a file or folderwhen Windows NT is formatted for NTFS. This may be useful if you do notwant other users to change the permissions on a particular file or folder.
The Rshx32.dll file controls the Security tab. To hide the security tab,change the permissions of this system file. By default, everyone has readpermissions to this file, and the local administrator has full controlrights.
To change the permissions on the file:
- Log on to the computer running Windows NT Server or Workstation as a local user who has Administrator rights.
- Open Windows NT Explorer and go to Winnt\System32.
- Search for the Rshx32.dll file.
- Go to the Properties of this file.
- Click the Security tab and then click Permission.
- Remove the Read permission of everyone and then add the appropriate rights to the appropriate users or user groups.
- Restart the computer.
Article ID: 193826 - Last Review: 12/05/2015 09:24:28 - Revision: 1.1
Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0 Standard Edition, Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 4.0 Developer Edition
- kbnosurvey kbarchive kbinfo KB193826