How to Remotely Reconfigure IP from Static Addressing to DHCP
This article was previously published under Q194407
This article has been archived. It is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
IMPORTANT: This article contains information about editing the registry.Before you edit the registry, make sure you understand how to restore it ifa problem occurs. For information on how to do this, view the "Restoringthe Registry" online Help topic in Regedit.exe or the "Restoring a RegistryKey" online Help topic in Regedt32.exe.
This article discusses how to change a computer's IP address from static toDHCP from a remote location.
WARNING: Using Registry Editor incorrectly can cause serious problems thatmay require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannotguarantee that problems resulting from the incorrect use of Registry Editorcan be solved. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.
For information about how to edit the registry, view the "Changing Keys AndValues" Help topic in Registry Editor (Regedit.exe) or the "Add and DeleteInformation in the Registry" and "Edit Registry Data" Help topics inRegedt32.exe. Note that you should back up the registry before you edit it.If you are running Windows NT, you should also update your Emergency RepairDisk (ERD).
- Connect to the remote registry. From the Registry menu in Regedt32, click Select Computer and type in the computer name of the computer that is to be reconfigured.
- Edit HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\DHCP\Start = 1 and change the Start = 1 value to Start = 2. This starts the DHCP service AUTOMATICALLY on bootup.
- View HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkCards\1 and note the value of ServiceName.
- Edit HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\XXXXXX\Parameters\TCPIP, where XXXXXX is the value of ServiceName found in the step 3.
- Edit value EnableDHCP = 1
- Edit value IPAddress = 0.0.0.0
- Edit value SubnetMask = 0.0.0.0
- Restart the workstation to complete.
Article ID: 194407 - Last Review: 12/05/2015 09:29:10 - Revision: 2.2
Microsoft Windows 2000 Server, Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server, Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional Edition, Microsoft Windows NT Server 3.51, Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0 Standard Edition, Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 4.0 Developer Edition
- kbnosurvey kbarchive kbinfo KB194407