How to change your default e-mail client in Outlook
This article was previously published under Q196257
After installing, Microsoft Outlook starts automatically when youconnect to your Internet Service Provider (ISP) and check for mail.
When you installed Outlook, Microsoft Internet Explorer was set touse Microsoft Outlook as your default e-mail client.
In Microsoft Internet Explorer, change the Mail service back to yourprevious mail client. Installing Outlook modifies the registered filetype for the "URL:MailTo Protocol" entry to point to Outlook.
Change the Default Mail Client
To change your default mail client, follow these steps:
- Start Internet Explorer.
- For Internet Explorer 4.x, on the View menu, click Internet Options.
For Internet Explorer 5.x and Internet Explorer 6.x, on the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
- On the Programs tab, in the Mail or E-mail list, select the program that you want to use as the default mail client, and click OK.
: If your previous mail client does not appear in the list, or for more information on this subject, please see the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
: How to change the default mail client for Internet Explorer
OL2K OL2002 OL2003
Article ID: 196257 - Last Review: 01/23/2007 22:08:18 - Revision: 4.1
- Microsoft Office Outlook 2003
- Microsoft Outlook 2002 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Outlook 2000 Standard Edition