MPEG files may not play in a slide show in PowerPoint
This article was previously published under Q202070
Warning This information is preliminary and has not been confirmed or tested by Microsoft. Use only with discretion.
When you view a Microsoft PowerPoint presentation that contains an MPEG file in slide show view, the MPEG file may not play, and it may appear as a blank placeholder. However, if you view the same presentation in slide view, the MPEG file does play.
This behavior may occur if there is a problem between Windows, the video display driver, and PowerPoint. In some cases, turning off Hardware Acceleration will enable MPEG files to play in slide show view.
To resolve this issue, turn off Hardware Acceleration. To do this, follow these steps.
Note Because there are several versions of Microsoft Windows, the following steps may be different on your computer. If they are, see your product documentation to complete these steps.
- Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Appearance and Themes.
- Click Display, and then click the Settings tab.
- Click Advanced, and then click the Troubleshoot tab.
- Move the Hardware acceleration slider to a lower value, such as None, and then click OK.
- Click OK to close the Display Properties dialog box.
For more information about hardware acceleration, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
127139 Troubleshooting video problems in Windows
8.00 playing play mpeg ppt97 movies movie PPT97 PPT2000 PPT2002 PPT2003 PPT2007
Article ID: 202070 - Last Review: 09/12/2012 13:53:00 - Revision: 3.1
Microsoft PowerPoint 2010, Microsoft Office PowerPoint 2007, Microsoft Office PowerPoint 2003, Microsoft PowerPoint 2002 Standard Edition, Microsoft PowerPoint 2000 Standard Edition, Microsoft PowerPoint 97 Standard Edition
- kbexpertisebeginner kbtshoot kbopenfile kbhardware kbprb KB202070