OL2000: Error Message in Extension Configuration File (ECF) Starting Outlook
This article has been archived. It is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
When you attempt to start Microsoft Outlook, you may receive one or allof the following error messages:
Error in configuration file "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 97\Office\Addins\filename.ecf"
The extension configuration file "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 97\Office\Addins\filename.ecf" could not be installed. There is an error in the syntax or format of the file.
Unable to load filename.dll. You may be out of memory, out of system resources, or missing a .dll file.
The above errors result from either a damaged or missing .ecf or .dllfile, or incorrect information in the Extend.dat file.
To correct this problem you may have to replace the damaged extensions, oryou may have to remove the reference to them in the Windows Registry. Ifthe problem persists, you should rename and recreate the Extend.dat file,which is a binary cache of extension settings.
Replace the Damaged ExtensionsTo replace the damaged extensions, follow these steps:
- Quit Outlook.
- Insert your original Setup CD into the drive. If you installed from the Web this will not be necessary.
- In the \Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Addins folder on your computer, rename the problem .ecf files referenced in the error message.
- Click Start, point to Settings and click Control Panel.
- Click to open the Add/Remove Programs icon.
- Click to select Microsoft Office 2000, and then click Add/Remove.
- When prompted, click "Repair Office". This will replace the .ecf files that were renamed earlier.
- Restart Outlook.
322756 How to back up and restore the registry in Windows
To Remove the Registry EntriesTo remove the reference to the files in the Windows Registry, follow thesesteps:
- Quit all programs.
- Click Start and then click Run.
- In the Open box type, regedit.exe.
- Navigate to the folder:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Exchange\Client\ExtensionsYou will see the add-ins listed on the right under the heading of DATA. Click to select the name of the Data key that corresponds to the Addin referenced in the error message and press DELETE to delete this registry key.
- On the Registry menu, click Exit.
- Restart your computer and then restart Outlook.
Refreshing Extend.dat FileIf you still receive the error message when you restart Outlook you mustrefresh the Extend.dat file.
To refresh the Extend.dat file, follow these steps:
- Quit all programs.
- Click Start point to Find and click Files or Folders.
- In the Named box, type extend.dat.
- In the Look In list, click to select your hard drive.
- Click to select Include subfolders and click Find Now.
- In the Name list, right-click on the file Extend.dat, and on the shortcut menu click Rename to rename the file to Extend.old.
- On the File menu, click Close to exit.
- Restart Outlook. Restarting Outlook creates a new Extend.dat file.
msspc32.dll msspc.ecf etexch.ecf mail3.ecf emsuix.ecf
Article ID: 204951 - Last Review: 12/05/2015 10:41:24 - Revision: 5.0
Microsoft Outlook 2000 Standard Edition
- kbnosurvey kbarchive kbprb KB204951