AutoComplete may not work
This article was previously published under Q211652
For a Microsoft Excel 97 version of this article, see 174444.
You type text in a cell in Microsoft Excel. The first few characters of the text that youtype match an existing entry in that column. When this occurs, the AutoComplete feature maynot automatically fill in the remaining characters.
In Microsoft Excel, the AutoComplete feature may not fill in the remaining characters if the algorithm that Excel uses detects a header row in the list.
ExampleWhen you use the steps in the following example, the AutoComplete featuredoes not appear to function properly.
- Save and close any open workbooks, and then create a new workbook.
- In cell A1, type ABC in uppercase.
- In cell A2, type a in lowercase and do not press ENTER.
The AutoComplete feature automatically inserts "aBC" in cell A2.
- Continue typing abc in lowercase in cell A2, and then press ENTER.
This overwrites the text that is suggested by AutoComplete.
- In cell B1, type ABC in uppercase.
- In cell B2, type a in lowercase and do not press ENTER.
The AutoComplete feature does not automatically suggest "aBC" in cell B2 as it does in step 3.
auto complete autocorrect XL2000 XL2003 XL2007
Article ID: 211652 - Last Review: 01/23/2007 22:19:33 - Revision: 4.2
Microsoft Office Excel 2007, Microsoft Office Excel 2003, Microsoft Excel 2002 Standard Edition, Microsoft Excel 2000 Standard Edition
- kbprb kbui KB211652