FIX: Remote Debugging on Alpha Does Not Work
This article was previously published under Q218612
This article has been archived. It is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
On the Alpha platform when trying to launch a remote debugging session, the following error message appears:
Cannot initialize the debugging system
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a bug in the Microsoft products that are listed at the beginning of this article.
This bug was corrected in Visual Studio 6.0 Service Pack 3. For more information about Visual Studio service packs, please see the following articles in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
INFO: Visual Studio 6.0 Service Packs, What, Where, Why194295
HOWTO: Tell That Visual Studio 6.0 Service Packs Are Installed
Steps to Reproduce Behavior:
- Build a debug executable file.
- Select Build then Debugger Remote Connection and set the connection type to Network(TCP/IP).
- Select Settings and type the Target Machine Name or Address.
- Select OK to exit.
- Finally, choose Build then Start Debug.
Article ID: 218612 - Last Review: 02/21/2014 00:33:59 - Revision: 3.0
- Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0 Enterprise Edition
- Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0 Professional Edition
- Microsoft Visual C++, 32-bit Learning Edition 6.0
- kbnosurvey kbarchive kbbug kbfix kbvs600sp3fix KB218612