You receive an "Internal Error 2755" or an "Exception code: C0000005 ACCESS_VIOLATION" error message when you install Office 2000 or view the Setup log file for an earlier installation of Office
This article was previously published under Q220780
When you install Microsoft Office 2000, you may receive the following error message:
Internal Error 2755: Please contact product support for assistance.
Also, when you view your Setup log file--for example, Office 2000 Premium Setup(0002)_MsiExec.txt--you may see text similar to the following just above the 2755 error:
Exception code: C0000005 ACCESS_VIOLATION
This problem can occur if the following conditions are true:
- You have an earlier version of Office installed from a network location. -and-
- You have a mapped drive letter to this Office location on the network.
- Either of the following conditions is true:
The network location does not contain any files in the Office\XLStart folder.
You have Read-Only permission on the Office\XLStart folder.
To work around this problem, follow these steps:
- Double-click My Computer.
- Right-click the drive from which you installed your previous version of Office.
- Click Disconnect on the shortcut menu.
- Run Office 2000 Setup.
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed at the beginning of this article.
For more articles about how to troubleshoot specific errors in Office Setup:
For more articles with general information about how to troubleshoot Office errors:
Article ID: 220780 - Last Review: 01/24/2007 02:56:09 - Revision: 3.2
- Microsoft Office 2000 Premium Edition
- Microsoft Office 2000 Professional Edition
- Microsoft Office 2000 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Office 2000 Small Business Edition
- Microsoft Office 2000 Developer Edition
- Microsoft Access 2000 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Excel 2000 Standard Edition
- Microsoft FrontPage 2000 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Outlook 2000 Standard Edition
- Microsoft PowerPoint 2000 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Word 2000 Standard Edition
- kbopenfile kbprb kberrmsg kbsetup KB220780