Digital Sound System: Windows Is Unable to Detect DSS80 Speakers
This article was previously published under Q220821
This article was written about products for which Microsoft no longer offers support. Therefore, this article is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
When you attempt to install Microsoft Digital Sound System 80 (DSS80), you may encounter the following symptoms:
- You may receive an error message stating that the DSS80 speakers could not be found.
- When you view the Device Manager tab in the System tool in Control Panel, you may see a conflict marker on the Microsoft Digital Sound System Composite Device in the USB Controllers branch.
If you click Properties, and then click Update Driver, you receive a "Fatal Exception in Vmm32.vxd" error message on a blue screen.
This behavior can occur if the following conditions are true:
- You are using a Microsoft Windows 98-based computer.
- You installed the DSS80 driver from the DSS80 CD-ROM.
To resolve this issue, delete the Mdss80.inf file, remove the Microsoft Digital Sound System Composite Device, and then reinstall the DSS80 speakers. To do this:
- Click Start, and then click Run.
- In the Open box, type the following line, and then click OK
drive:\windows\Inf\Other where drive is the letter of the hard disk on which Windows is installed, and windows is the folder in which Windows is installed.
- Right-click the Mdss80.inf file, and then click Delete. When you are prompted to confirm the file deletion, click Yes.
- Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
- Double-click System.
- Click the Device Manager tab.
- Click the PLUS SIGN (+) next to Universal Serial Bus Controller to expand the branch.
- In the Universal Serial Bus Controller branch, click the Microsoft Digital Sound System Composite Device, click Remove, and then click OK.
- Click Refresh to install the correct version of the DSS80 driver.
: Windows 98 provides native support for the DSS80 speaker system.
1.00 dss-80 speakers setup
Article ID: 220821 - Last Review: 08/06/2002 09:00:00 - Revision: 1.0
- Microsoft Digital Sound System 80 1.0 Standard Edition
- kbenv kberrmsg kbhardware kbprb kbsetup kbsound KB220821