Setting File Attributes on Web Content Causes 404 - File Not Found Error
This article was previously published under Q221553
We strongly recommend that all users upgrade to Microsoft Internet Information Services (IIS) version 7.0 running on Microsoft Windows Server 2008. IIS 7.0 significantly increases Web infrastructure security. For more information about IIS security-related topics, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
When you set the folder attributes to Hidden on a directory that resides in a Web folder, the following error message may occur:
404 - File Not FoundFor example:
- Set the folder attributes to Hidden on the WWWroot directory (provided you are still using the default directory).
- Browse to the directory using your browser.
- You should receive a 404 - File Not Found error.
- Set the folder attribute back to its normal state (non-hidden).
You should now be able to browse to this site.
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed at the beginning of this article.
iis 5 iis5 iis 6 iis 6.0 iis6
Article ID: 221553 - Last Review: 07/07/2008 18:30:53 - Revision: 4.1
Microsoft Internet Information Server 2.0, Microsoft Internet Information Server 3.0, Microsoft Internet Information Server 4.0, Microsoft Internet Information Services 5.0, Microsoft Internet Information Services 6.0, Microsoft Internet Information Services 7.0
- kbhttp404 kbpending kbprb kbprod2web KB221553