XCLN: Delivery Receipt Received: "Your message was deleted without being read"
This article was previously published under Q222163
This article has been archived. It is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
If the following conditions exist, you may receive a message stating that your message was deleted without being read.
- User A has a delegate, User D.
- User A has set up the delegate to receive meeting requests and User A does not receive the requests.
- User B sends a meeting request to User A and later receives a Delivery Receipt stating "Your message was deleted without being read."
- User B enables the "Tell me when all messages have been read" tracking option in Outlook. This option notifies the message sender that the message has been opened by the recipient, including date and time.
(To do this, on the Tools menu, click Options, click E-Mail Options, click Tracking Options, and click to select the Tell me when all messages have been read check box.)
- User B sends a message to User A.
- User A doesn't read the message (the delegate, User D, does), hence the following message tracking notification to User B:
-----Original Message-----From: User A Sent: Friday, March 12, 1999 12:18 PMTo: User BSubject: MeetingYour message To: User A Subject: Meeting Sent: 3/12/99 12:18 PMwas deleted without being read on 3/12/99 12:18 PM.
- The delegate, User D, selects the option to delete meeting requests after they've been accepted, or simply deletes the request after it is processed.
(To do this, on the Tools menu, click Options, click E-Mail Options, click Advanced E-Mail Options, and click to select the Delete meeting request from inbox when responding check box.)
Enabling this setting removes a meeting request from the Inbox when User D responds. If User D accepts the meeting request, the meeting is entered in the Calendar.
There is no way to prevent this behavior unless you clear the Tell me when messages have been read check box, which is not selected by default.
8.0 8.01 8.02 8.03 8.04 8.5 9.0
Article ID: 222163 - Last Review: 12/05/2015 13:23:49 - Revision: 3.4
Microsoft Outlook 97 Standard Edition, Microsoft Outlook 98 Standard Edition, Microsoft Outlook 2000 Standard Edition, Microsoft Exchange Server 5.5 Standard Edition
- kbnosurvey kbarchive kbhowto KB222163