Cannot Use Shared Encrypted Files in Windows 2000
This article was previously published under Q223448
This article has been archived. It is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
When you attempt to gain access to a file on a shared network resource, the following error message may be displayed:
Error Copying File or Folder
Cannot Copy NT Mounted Volumes: Cannot Read From the Source File or Disk.
This behavior can occur if the shared file was encrypted by another user using the Windows 2000 Encrypted File System (EFS), even if you have full access to the share.
To resolve this issue, the owner of the file must decrypt the file on the network share.
This behavior is by design.
Article ID: 223448 - Last Review: 10/20/2013 16:55:09 - Revision: 3.2
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Server
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional Edition
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Datacenter Server
- kbnosurvey kbarchive kbefs kberrmsg kbnetwork kbprb KB223448