Install Microsoft Outlook
To resolve this problem, install Microsoft Outlook 2000.
For additional information about what type of setup you should perform when installing Microsoft Outlook, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
OL2000: What Setup Option Should I Choose When I Install Outlook
Run the Fixmapi.exe Tool
To resolve this problem when you have Microsoft Outlook installed, follow these steps:
- Quit all Windows programs.
- Click Start menu, and then click Run.
- In the Open box, type Fixmapi.exe and then click OK.
For additional information about Fixmapi.exe, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Description of the Fixmapi.exe Tool Included with Internet Explorer 5
The "Use Netscape Messenger from MAPI-based applications" option is selected.
Use the following steps to turn off Netscape Messenger as the default e-mail program:
- Quit Microsoft Word and all other Windows programs.
- Start Netscape Communicator (Netscape Navigator).
- On the Edit menu, click Preferences.
- Under Category, click Mail & Newsgroups.
- Click to clear the Use Netscape Messenger from MAPI-based applications option, and then click OK.
You are attempting to use the Address Book in Outlook Express.
The Outlook Express Address Book is not designed for use with MicrosoftWord 2000. Therefore, when you try to perform a mail merge with the OutlookExpress Address Book, you must export the information from Outlook Express.
To export the Address Book from Outlook Express, follow these steps:
- Start Outlook Express.
- On the File menu, point to Export, and then click Address Book.
- In the Address Book Export Tool dialog box, click Text File (Comma Separated Values), and then click Export.
- In the Save exported file as box, type a file name for your exported Address Book file, and then click Browse.
- Save your file.
By default, Outlook Express saves the file to your desktop. You may want to save the file to the My Documents folder or to a different folder or drive. Select the folder you want to use.
You can save your Outlook Express Address Book in one of two formats: Comma Separated Values (*.csv) or Text Files (*.txt). Word can use either format. In the Save as Type box, select the format you want to use. Click Save.
- Click Next.
- Click to select the fields that you want to export as part of your data source, and then click Finish.
NOTE: All of the fields in the Outlook Express Address Book can be exported, except for Gender, Conferencing Email, and Directory Servers.
- When Outlook Express finishes exporting your Address Book, click OK to the following message:
Address book export process has completed.
- Click Close to close the Address Book Export Tool dialog box.
You are attempting to use the Address Book in Microsoft Works Suite 2000.
The Works Suite address book is not compatible with Microsoft Word. To work around this problem, use one of the following methods appropriate for your situation.
Method 1: Use the Works Suite Address Book in a Word Mail Merge
You cannot use your Works Suite Address Book with the Address Book feature from Word. However, you can access your Works Suite Address Book in a Word mail merge. To do this, follow these steps:
- On the Tools menu, point to Mail Merge, and then click Document Type.
- In the Document Type dialog box, click to select the type of mail-merge main document that you want (for example, click to select Form Letter), and then click OK.
- In the Open Data Source dialog box, click to select Merge from the Address Book.
- On the Mail Merge toolbar, click Insert Merge Field, and then click to select the merge field that you want.
- Repeat step 4 for each merge field that you want.
- On the Mail Merge toolbar, click Merge.
- In the Merge dialog box, change the Merge to box to the location where you want to complete the mail merge (for example, change the Merge to box to Printer), and then click Merge.
Method 2: Use the Microsoft Works Word Processor
To start the Microsoft Works Word Processor in the Works Suite, click Run
on the Windows Start
menu. In the Open
box, type WksWP.exe
and then click OK
To print a single envelope by using an address from the Works Suite Address Book, follow these steps in the Microsoft Works Word Processor:
- On the Tools menu, click Envelopes.
- In the Envelopes dialog box, click to select Single envelope, and then click OK.
- In the Envelope Settings dialog box, select the envelope size that you want, and then click New Document.
- On the Insert menu, click Address.
- In the Insert Address dialog box, select the contact that you want, and then click OK.
: There is also a command on the Tools
menu to create labels.