OLEXP: Error Message: An Error Occurred While Establishing a Dial-Up...
This article was previously published under Q224548
This article has been archived. It is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
For information about the differences between Microsoft Outlook Express and Microsoft Outlook e-mail clients, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
OL2000: Differences Between Outlook and Outlook Express
When you start Outlook Express 5, you may receive the following error message:
An error occurred while establishing a Dial-Up Networking connection.
If you then close the error message, Outlook Express may establish a successful connection to your Internet e-mail or news server.
This issue can occur if Outlook Express is set to use the "Send and receive messages at startup" feature but your modem is not set to wait for a dial tone before dialing.
To resolve this issue, disable the "Send and receive messages at startup" feature in Outlook Express, or set your modem to wait for a dial tone before dialing:
Disable Send and Receive Messages at Startup
- In Outlook Express, click Options on the Tools menu, and then click the General tab.
- Click the Send and receive messages at startup" check box to clear it, and then click OK.
Enable Wait for Dial Tone Before Dialing
- Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
- Click your modem, and then click Properties.
- Click the Connection tab, and then click to select the Wait for dial tone before dialing" check box.
- Click OK, and then click Close.
Article ID: 224548 - Last Review: 02/21/2014 00:35:18 - Revision: 3.1
Microsoft Outlook Express 5.0, Microsoft Outlook Express 5.0
- kbnosurvey kbarchive kberrmsg kbprb KB224548