PPT2000: PowerPoint 2000 Add-In with Interactive Modal Dialogs Cause Word and Excel 2000 to Stop Responding
- The Auto_Open feature of the PowerPoint add-in starts.
- Microsoft Office Windows Installer runs Office AutoRepair.
- After the AutoRepair has finished, you receive the following error message:The server application, source file, or item cannot be found.
Make sure the application is properly installed, and that it has not been deleted, moved, or renamed.
- After this error, Word or Excel appear to stop responding (the mouse pointer will change to the "hour glass" cursor).NOTE: This will only be temporary, Word and Excel will be active within five minutes.
- An error will appear behind Word or Excel with the following message:PowerPoint can't be used as a server because a dialog box is open. Please close open dialog boxes to continue.If you close the prompt, nothing happens.
This is because modal user interfaces are run from the Visual Basic for Applications layer of Office (not from PowerPoint directly). The Windows Installer interprets the program ID as damage to PowerPoint. In addition, PowerPoint cannot finish loading until the modal UI has been cleared from the display. This activates the final error message.
Disable Add-ins with Modal User InterfacesTo disable add-ins with modal user interfaces, follow these steps:
- On the Tools menu, click Add-Ins.
- From the list of installed add-ins, select the add-ins that have Modal UIs, then click Unload.
- Click Close.
Article ID: 226750 - Last Review: 02/21/2014 00:35:40 - Revision: 2.0
- kbnosurvey kbarchive kberrmsg kbbug kbinterop kbpending KB226750