You may experience an Access Violation when your application:
- Uses Winsock API or crypto API, and may frequently load/unload a DLL dynamically. - Is a multithreaded application.
When the Access Violation occurs, the following error message is generated. You may receive APPCRASH or BEX Event Error.
Sample.exe Application has stopped working.
Problem signature : Problem event name : APPCRASH Application name : Sample.exe Application version : 0.0.0.0 Application Timestamp : 4afa1ed3 Fault Module name : MSVCR80.dll Fault Module Version : 8.0.50727.4927 Fault Module Timestamp: 4a2752ff Exception Code : 40000015 Exception Offset : 000046b4 OS Version : 6.1.7600.2.0.0.16.7 Locale ID: 1041
Problem signature : Problem event name : BEX Application name : Sample.exe Application version : 0.0.0.0 Application Timestamp : 4afa1ed3 Fault Module name : mswsock.dll Fault Module Version : 6.1.7600.16385 Fault Module Timestamp: 4a5bda77 Exception Offset: 000016bf Exception Code : c0000005 Exception Data: 00000008 OS Version : 6.1.7600.2.0.0.16.7 Locale ID: 1041
The root cause of this problem is a change made in Windows Server 2008 R2 to the time when the tsappcmp.dll module (Remote Desktop Services Application Compatibility DLL) gets initialized, which consequently causes your application to call DLL functions before it establishes a link to functions within the DLL.
To resolve this problem, do either of the following four options:
1. Exclude the application that has the error occurring from Data Execution Prevention (DEP).
2. Add the /TSAWARE linker option to build your application.
3. Add the /TSAWARE option with editbin.exe tool.
- Run Command prompt of Vistual Studio. - Type following command.
editbin.exe /TSAWARE <Program file name>
- You can confirm that the program is aware of terminal service by following command.
editbin.exe /headers <Program file name> : 8540 DLL characteristics Dynamic base NX compatible No structured exception handler Terminal Server Aware
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed in the "Applies to" section.