You receive an "Error 1704. An installation for <Office product> is currently suspended" error message when you install Office 2000
This article was previously published under Q228655
When you run Microsoft Office Setup, the following error message may appear:
Error 1704. An installation for <Office product> is currently suspended. You must undo the changes made by that installation to continue. Do you want to undo those changes?
where <Office product> is one of the Office family products.
If you click Yes
Setup will continue and appear to finish. When you restart your computer, the same error message may be repeated, or Microsoft Office Setup may automatically start in Maintenance Mode Setup.
If you click No
, the following error message appears:
Office Setup was canceled.
To complete installation at another time, please run Setup again.
This error occurs when the following conditions are true:
- You install an Office 2000 family product's CD (For example, Office 2000 Premium CD1).
- You do not restart your computer when Setup prompts you to. You click No for this to happen.
- You run Setup from a second Office 2000 family product's CD (for example, Office 2000 Premium CD2).
To resolve this behavior, use the method appropriate for your situation.
If you clicked NO, follow these steps:
- Restart your computer.
- Run Setup from the second CD.
If you clicked Yes, follow these steps:
- Allow Office Setup to continue.
- When you are prompted to restart your computer by the current Office Setup, click Yes.
- If Office Setup is run in Maintenance Mode after you restart your computer, quit Maintenance Mode.
- Click Cancel in the Maintenance Mode dialog box.
- Click Yes to the Are you sure you want to exit Office Setup? question.
- When you are warned that Setup is canceled, click OK.
- Allow the current Setup program to finish.
- When the Setup program is finished, repair the former installation.
- On the Windows Start menu, point to Settings, and click Control Panel.
- Double-click Add/Remove Programs.
- Click the program name from the list, and click Add/Remove.
- Click Repair Office.
- Click Repair Errors in my Office Installation, and click Finish.
This should complete the former installation.
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed at the beginning of this article.
You must restart your computer each time you run Setup, so that Setup can complete the installation.
For more articles about how to troubleshoot specific errors in Office Setup:
For more articles with general information about how to troubleshoot Office errors:
Article ID: 228655 - Last Review: 01/24/2007 02:56:01 - Revision: 3.2
- Microsoft Office 2000 Premium Edition
- Microsoft Office 2000 Professional Edition
- Microsoft Office 2000 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Office 2000 Small Business Edition
- Microsoft Office 2000 Developer Edition
- Microsoft Access 2000 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Excel 2000 Standard Edition
- Microsoft FrontPage 2000 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Outlook 2000 Standard Edition
- Microsoft PowerPoint 2000 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Word 2000 Standard Edition
- kbtshoot kbprb kberrmsg kbpending kbsetup KB228655