Installing a New Certificate with Certificate Wizard for Use in SSL/TLS
This article was written about products for which Microsoft no longer offers support. Therefore, this article is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
In order to provide secure communications (SSL/TLS) in Internet Information Services (IIS) 5.0, a server certificate is required on the site you want to provide the service on.
Before the following steps can be completed, you must first generate a certificate request, and then send it to an online authority (certificate authority). If you have not done this, perform the steps in the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article:
Generating a Certificate Request File Using Certificate Wizard in IIS 5.0
When you receive your response file from the online authority, you will need to install this on the Web server. NOTE
: The response file contains your public key that has been signed by the authority. A client can successfully connect to the site without trusting the authority who issued the server certificate. However, if the client does not trust the authority, a security prompt that says "The security certificate was issued by a company you have not chosen to trust. View the certificate to determine whether you want to trust the certifying authority." appears each time the client connects. The client is given the option to continue or view the certificate at this point.
To install the response file, follow these steps:
- Open Internet Services Manager, or the custom MMC containing the Internet Information Services snap-in.
- Expand Internet Information Services (if needed) and browse to the Web site you have a pending certificate request on.
- Right-click on the site and then click Properties.
- Click the Directory Security tab.
- Under the Secure Communications section, click Server Certificate.
- On the Web Site Certificate Wizard, click Next.
- Choose to Process the Pending Request and Install the Certificate. Click Next.
- Type in the location of the certificate response file (you may also browse to the file), and then click Next.
- Read the summary screen to be sure that you are processing the correct certificate, and then click Next.
- You will see a confirmation screen. When you have read this information, click Next.
You now have a server certificate installed. You may want to test the Web site to ensure that everything is working correctly. Be sure to use https:// when you test connectivity to the site.
SSL TLS certificate https iis
Article ID: 228836 - Last Review: 06/22/2014 20:12:00 - Revision: 3.0