Overview of online broadcasting with NetShow in Microsoft PowerPoint 2000
This article was previously published under Q229826
This article has been archived. It is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
This article describes how to use the Microsoft PowerPoint Online Broadcasting feature with Microsoft NetShow Server 3.0. If you do not use a NetShow server, you will be limited to fifteen audience members in your Online Broadcast. Due to licensing restrictions, you will be limited to only ten audience members if you are presenting from a Microsoft Windows NT Workstation, without using the NetShow Server.
Benefits of presentation broadcasting include:
- Reduced travel costs.
- Increased productivity by reviewing on-demand presentations.
- Retention of the presenter's knowledge.
To set up an online broadcast for use with NetShow, you must complete the following tasks:
- Configure the Netshow Server
- Configure the Presenter Machine
Configure the Netshow ServerTo use the Online Broadcast server feature, the following software must also be present on the server system:
- Microsoft(r) Windows NT Server version 4.0
- Service Pack 3 (or later) for Microsoft(r) Windows NT Server
- Microsoft(r) Windows NT Server NetShow Services
mms://servername/sample.asfThe Sample.ASF should play in Windows Media Player. If your NetShow server is not installed or configured properly, Online Broadcasting will not work. In this case, consult your NetShow documentation.
The On-line Presentation Broadcast service must be installed and started on the NetShow Server. The Onlbroad.exe will be available for download from the Microsoft website.
- On the NetShow Server, download the file Onlbroad.exe. It is located at the following Web location:
- Double-click the file OnLBroad.exe.
- Click OK, then click Unzip. You will receive the following message:
DllRegisterServer in NSLSvps.dll succeeded.
- On the Windows Start menu, point to Settings, click Control Panel, then click Services.
- Click the On-line Presentation Broadcast item and then click Startup....
- In the Log On As group, click to select the This Account option, and type in a User name and Password.
Note: This User must be a member of the NetShow Administrtors group for that particular machine. The login name should include the domain name if the NT Server participates in a domain.
- Click OK.
- Click Start to start the service.
- Click Close to close the Services control panel.
Configure the Presenter MachineTo create an online presentation, first, create your slides with PowerPoint as you would for any other presentation. Save the presentation. Then, setup and schedule your presentation using the Online Broadcast option under the Slide Show menu. To do this, follow these steps:
- Click Slideshow, then point to Online Broadcast, and then click Set Up and Schedule.
- Make sure that the Set Up and Schedule a new broadcast option is selected, then click OK.
- On the Description tab, you can change the Title, Description, Speaker name, and Contact information. This information will be viewed by your audience. You can preview this information by clicking Preview Lobby Page.
- Click the Broadcast Settings tab.
- In the Audio and Visual settings box, you will be able to determine whether you will send an Audio stream or a Video stream. To use these features, you must have a microphone or video capture device installed on the presenter machine.
You can capture Audio and Video from another computer by clicking to select the Camera/microphone is connected to another computer check box. If you select this option, you must specify the computer name, and that computer must have a microphone or video capture device installed and functioning properly.
- Decide whether or not to include a link for E-mail under the Audience Feedback during Broadcast box. If you have a chat server on your network, you can specify it here as well.
- In the Recording box, you can record the broadcast and save it for later viewing.
- Specify whether or not the audience will have access to the Speakers notes.
- Click Server Options.
- You must specify a shared location where the Online Broadcast will be accessed by the audience. Specify this location in Step 1: (required) Specify a shared location. This shared location can be on the presenter machine or on the NetShow server; however, you will experience better performance if you specify a shared location that is not on the NetShow server. You should type the shared location in the following format:
- Click to select Use a local NetShow Server on this LAN.
- Type the Server name.
NOTE: Do not type the two back slashes before the server name. Type Servername, not \\Servername.
- Click OK, then click Schedule Broadcast.
- In the Meeting form, type the email addresses of each audience member in the To box. When you finish, set the Start and End time, then click Send.
- You will receive a message: The broadcast has been successfully scheduled. Your broadcast settings have been saved in the following:
For more information on Online Broadcasting in PowerPoint, please see the following page on the Microsoft World Wide Web site:
For More information on using NetShow Services with PowerPoint Online Broadcasting, please see the following page on the Microsoft World Wide Web site:
OFF2000 PPT2000 PPT2K PPT9 PPT9.0 2K 2000 POWERPNT
Article ID: 229826 - Last Review: 10/26/2013 14:36:00 - Revision: 4.0
Microsoft PowerPoint 2000 Standard Edition
- kbnosurvey kbarchive kbhowto kbinfo KB229826