HOW TO: Change Computer and Domain Names in Windows 2000
This article was previously published under Q232007
This article has been archived. It is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
This step-by-step article describes how to change the computer name and domain membership in Windows 2000.
back to the top
Change Computer and Domain NamesTo change the computer name or domain membership, follow these steps:
- Click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then double-click System.
- On the Network Identification tab, click Advanced.
- If you want to change the computer name, type the new name you want in the New Computer Name box. If not, continue to the next step.
- If you want to change the domain name, type the new domain name in the Domain box. If not, continue to the next step.
- If you want to change the name of the DNS domain name, click More, and then type the name of the DNS domain in the DNS domain name of this computer box. If not, continue to the next step.NOTE: When you select the Change DNS domain name when domain membership changes check box, DNS domain name changes when you change to a new domain, but does not change if you change to use a workgroup.
- Click OK.
Article ID: 232007 - Last Review: 12/05/2015 14:33:37 - Revision: 3.2
Microsoft Windows 2000 Server, Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server, Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional Edition, Microsoft Windows 2000 Datacenter Server
- kbnosurvey kbarchive kbenv kbhowto kbhowtomaster kbnetwork KB232007