SAMPLE: Setup1.exe Fully Automating MSDE Setup with the Package and Deployment Wizard (PDW)
To use this customized Setup1.exe program, follow these steps:
- Extract the Msde_ins.exe file into another folder of your choice. You will get Setup1.exe and Readme.txt files.
- Copy the original Setup1.exe file that ships with Visual Studio version 6.0. from the \VB98\Wizards\PDWizard folder to a different folder for later use.
- Place the customized Setup1.exe file in the \VB98\Wizards\PDWizard folder.
To distribute MSDE automatically with the Package and Deployment Wizard, follow these steps:
- On the original development computer, start the Package and Deployment Wizard, select a Visual Basic project, and then click Package.
- In the Package And Deployment Wizard -Package Type dialog box, click Standard Setup Package.
- Click Next and leave the default settings.
- Click Next. On the Package And Deployment Wizard - Included Files dialog box, click Add. Include the following files within the setup wizard:- readme.txt
- Any custom database (.mdf file) that needs to be used with MSDE on the target machine
- Click Next. On the Package And Deployment Wizard - Cab Options dialog box, click either Single Cab or Multiple Cab.
- Click Next. On the Package And Deployment Wizard - Installation Title dialog box, choose a setup screen title.
- Continue through the wizard, selecting the default settings until you reach the Package And Deployment Wizard - Shared Files dialog box. In this dialog box, mark the components you want shared.
- Continue through the wizard, and then click Finish. The package is now complete and can be installed onto target computers.
- Run Setup on the target computer and MSDE will be installed automatically.
- After the installation is complete, you can see two program groups on your desktop: one for MSDE service manager, and one for your Visual Basic application.
Article ID: 234626 - Last Review: 02/21/2014 00:36:47 - Revision: 1.3
- kbnosurvey kbarchive kbdownload kbappsetup kbdatabase kbfile kbinfo kbsample kbwizard KB234626