The Setup1.exe file is a customized installation program that is made when it is employed with the Setup Toolkit project, Setup1.vbp. When used with the Package and Deployment Wizards, it automatically distributes MSDE with Visual Studio applications.
To use this customized Setup1.exe program, follow these steps:
- Extract the Msde_ins.exe file into another folder of your choice. You will get Setup1.exe and Readme.txt files.
- Copy the original Setup1.exe file that ships with Visual Studio version 6.0. from the \VB98\Wizards\PDWizard folder to a different folder for later use.
- Place the customized Setup1.exe file in the \VB98\Wizards\PDWizard folder.
The following files are available for download from the Microsoft
Collapse this tableExpand this table
To distribute MSDE automatically with the Package and Deployment Wizard, follow these steps:
- On the original development computer, start the Package and Deployment Wizard, select a Visual Basic project, and then click Package.
- In the Package And Deployment Wizard -Package Type dialog box, click Standard Setup Package.
- Click Next and leave the default settings.
- Click Next. On the Package And Deployment Wizard - Included Files dialog box, click Add. Include the following files within the setup wizard:
- Any custom database (.mdf file) that needs to be used with MSDE on the target machine
- Click Next. On the Package And Deployment Wizard - Cab Options dialog box, click either Single Cab or Multiple Cab.
- Click Next. On the Package And Deployment Wizard - Installation Title dialog box, choose a setup screen title.
- Continue through the wizard, selecting the default settings until you reach the Package And Deployment Wizard - Shared Files dialog box. In this dialog box, mark the components you want shared.
- Continue through the wizard, and then click Finish. The package is now complete and can be installed onto target computers.
- Run Setup on the target computer and MSDE will be installed automatically.
- After the installation is complete, you can see two program groups on your desktop: one for MSDE service manager, and one for your Visual Basic application.
For additional information about MSDE, click the article number below
to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
HOW TO: Distribute the Microsoft Data Engine (MSDE) With the Package and Deployment Wizard (PDW)
Article ID: 234626 - Last Review: February 21, 2014 - Revision: 1.3
- Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0 Professional Edition
- Microsoft Visual Basic Enterprise Edition for Windows 6.0
- Microsoft Data Engine 1.0
|kbnosurvey kbarchive kbdownload kbappsetup kbdatabase kbfile kbinfo kbsample kbwizard KB234626|