PRB: Unexpected Error C0042116 with PDW: You Do Not Have Write Access to Destination URL
This article was previously published under Q234975
This article has been archived. It is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
When using the Package and Deployment Wizard (PDW) to deploy an Internet Information Server (IIS) application to a Web server, you receive the following error message:
Unexpected error number C0042116 has occurred: The Web server returned the following error: You do not have write access to destination URL http://<servername>/<directory>.
This error message could occur because of two reasons:
- You have not enabled Write permissions to the target directory you are deploying to. Write permissions are required in order to deploy your WebClass application.
- The deployment directory you have specified does not exist on the target server.
To enable Write permissions follow these steps:
- Open the Internet Service Manager (ISM) snap-in in the Microsoft Management Console (MMC).
- Right-click your deployment directory and select Properties.
- Select the Directory or Virtual Directory tab.
- Under Access Permissions, enable the Write permissions option.
- Click Apply and then click OK.
This behavior is by design.
For additional information about the Package and Deployment Wizard, click the article numbers below to view the articles in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
242767 INFO: Deploying WebClasses with the Package and Deployment Wizard (PDW)
199017 HOWTO: Deploy Visual Basic IIS Applications with PDW
Article ID: 234975 - Last Review: 02/28/2014 00:27:33 - Revision: 4.1
Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0 Learning Edition, Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0 Professional Edition, Microsoft Visual Basic Enterprise Edition for Windows 6.0, Microsoft Internet Information Server 4.0, Microsoft Internet Information Services 5.0
- kbnosurvey kbarchive kbdeployment kbprb kbwebclasses KB234975