SMS: How to Obtain and Install Systems Management Server 2.0 Service Pack 2
This article was previously published under Q236325
This article has been archived. It is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
NOTE: The latest service pack for Systems Management Server 2.0 is Service Pack 4 (SP4). For additional information about Service Pack 4, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
311457 SMS: How to Obtain and Install Systems Management Server 2.0 Service Pack 4
IMPORTANT: This service pack is for use with Systems Management Server (SMS) version 2.0 only.
The bugs that are fixed by this update are listed in the Readme file that is included with the service pack. This list is also available in the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
258682 SMS: List of Bugs Fixed in Systems Management Server 2.0 Service Pack 2
Available Formats for SMS 2.0 Service Pack 2 (SP2)The following files are available for download from the following Microsoft Web sites:
NOTE: These downloadable files are Web patches only, and are designed to update an SMS 2.0 SP1 source.
IMPORTANT: You must have a SP1-applied source directory before you run these executable files.
- Sms20sp2i.exe: Components of SP2 for Intel-based computers
- Sms20sp2a.exe: Components of SP2 for Alpha-based computers
- Visit the following Microsoft Web site:
- Under Download, click the language that you want, and then click Go.
- Follow the instructions on the page that appears.
Installing SMS 2.0 SP2To install SMS 2.0 SP2:
- Copy the contents of the Systems Management Server 2.0 SP1 CD-ROM to a local folder on the hard disk. For this example, the folder is named SMS20SP2. This folder can be created on a local workstation or on your primary site server. If you create the folder on the site server, the folder must not share the same drive as the SMS site installation. The SMS Setup program does not run from the same drive as the site installation.
- Share the SMS20SP2 folder.
- Download one of the files that is listed earlier in this article, and then copy it into the new SMS20SP2 folder.
- Open the SMS20SP2 folder, and then double-click the file you downloaded. For example, if your computer has an Intel-based processor, you would download the Sms20sp2i.exe file, and then double-click that file to start the SMS 2.0 SP2 Service Pack Wizard.
The Service Pack Wizard prompts you to provide the location of the SMS 2.0 SP1 image. If you have not already created the SMS 2.0 SP1 image on a network drive, the wizard can create one for you. If you have already created the SMS 2.0 SP1 image, select the second option:
The SMS 2.0 SP1 CD Image is already on a local or network Drive.
Click Browse, and then point to the location of the folder you created in step 1.
NOTE: The SMS 2.0 SP2 Setup program cannot be run from the same drive where SMS 2.0 has been installed. The new SP2 source must be created on a different drive.
After the wizard finishes, the new SP2 installation source is created. Open the new SP2 source folder, and then double-click the Autorun.exe file to start the Setup wizard. Follow the instructions on the screen to upgrade your site to SP2.
For additional information, click the following article numbers to view the articles in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
261931 SMS: Required Hotfixes Before Installing SMS 2.0 Ss
256884 SMS: TCP and UDP Ports Used by Remote Control Have Changed in SP2
prodsms servpack sp1 bug fix Smsdistrib smsfaqtop
Article ID: 236325 - Last Review: 02/21/2014 00:37:11 - Revision: 4.5
Microsoft Systems Management Server 2.0
- kbnosurvey kbarchive kbdownload kbconfig kbhowto kbserver kbsetup kbupgrade KB236325