Unable to Shut Down Computer by Typing Exit in Safe Mode
This article was previously published under Q236337
This article has been archived. It is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
When you type EXIT to quit the command prompt while your computer is started with the "Safe Mode With Command prompt" option, the command prompt window closes, but the computer does not restart.
This behavior occurs because the EXIT command closes the command prompt shell, but it does not restart the computer.
To resolve this issue, press CTRL+ALT+DELETE, click Shut Down, choose a shut down option, and then click OK.
This behavior is by design.
Article ID: 236337 - Last Review: 12/05/2015 15:07:59 - Revision: 3.2
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Server
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional Edition
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Datacenter Server
- kbnosurvey kbarchive kbprb kbui KB236337