You receive a "This installation package could not be opened" error message when you run Office 2000 Setup
This article was previously published under Q236597
For a Microsoft Office XP version of this article, see 290525
When you try to run Office Setup, you may receive one of the following error messages:
This installation package could not be opened. Verify that the package exists and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer package.
This installation package could not be opened. Contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer package.
This problem may occur if the locally cached Windows Installer package (.msi) file is damaged or corrupted.
To resolve this problem, use the following methods in the order presented.
METHOD 1: Update Windows Installer
Do one of the following.
If you already installed Office 2000
- Click Start, and then click Run.
- In the Open box, type the following command line, and then click OK:
<path>\Setup.exe /fv Data1.msiwhere <path> is the path to your Office Setup files.
If you are trying to install Office 2000
If Office 2000 is not yet installed on your computer, follow these steps:
- Open the Windows\Installer folder on your hard disk.
- Right-click any file with an .msi extension, and then click Properties.
- Repeat step 2 for each .msi file in the Installer folder, and then delete the .msi file for the version of Office that you are trying to install.
METHOD 2: Update Windows Installer from the Web
Update Windows with the latest version of Windows Installer. To obtain the latest version of Windows Installer, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
For more information about this issue, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Error message when you install or upgrade the Windows Installer
prb OFF2000 patch package error 1636
Article ID: 236597 - Last Review: 01/24/2007 15:59:22 - Revision: 4.3
- Microsoft Office 2000 Premium Edition
- Microsoft Office 2000 Professional Edition
- Microsoft Office 2000 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Office 2000 Small Business Edition
- Microsoft Office 2000 Developer Edition
- Microsoft Access 2000 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Excel 2000 Standard Edition
- Microsoft FrontPage 2000 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Outlook 2000 Standard Edition
- Microsoft PowerPoint 2000 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Word 2000 Standard Edition
- kbstartprogram kbsetup kbtshoot kberrmsg kbprb KB236597