Err Msg: "DllRegisterServer in Srvcstat.ocx Failed: Return Code Was 0x80040201" During SBS 4.5 Upgrade
This article was previously published under Q237191
This article has been archived. It is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
When you upgrade from Small Business Server (SBS) 4.0 to SBS 4.5, the process may stop during the installation of SBS Administrator and the following error message may be displayed:
DllRegisterServer in Srvcstat.ocx failed:Return code was 0x80040201If you manually register the Srvcstat.ocx file by running Regsvr32.exe, the upgrade is still unsuccessful and the same error message is displayed.
This behavior occurs if the currently installed Comcat.dll file is not the correct version. Registering the Srvcstat.ocx file calls the Comcat.dll file. If the Comcat.dll file is not version 4.71, the Srvcstat.ocx file is not registered.
To resolve this issue, replace the version 4.71 Comcat.dll file with the file included in Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 Service Pack 4 (SP4):
- Locate the Winnt.sbs\System32 folder.
- Rename the Comcat.dll file to Comcat.old
- Expand SP4 to a temporary folder by typing the following command:c:\program files\microsoft backoffice\sp4setup /x
- Manually copy the Comcat.dll file from the temporary folder to the Winnt.sbs\System32 folder.
- Register the new Comcat.dll file by typing the following command:regsvr32 c:\winnt.sbs\system32\comcat.dll
- Restart BackOffice Setup to complete the upgrade.
Article ID: 237191 - Last Review: 12/05/2015 15:13:12 - Revision: 1.0
Microsoft BackOffice Small Business Server 4.5
- kbnosurvey kbarchive kbprb KB237191