Defrag Error Message: ID No:DEFRAG00205
This article has been archived. It is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
When you run the Disk Defragmenter tool in Windows 98, you may receive the following error message:
Error Defragmenting Drive C
Windows cannot finish defragmenting this drive because it has encountered aproblem. Click Help and carry out the instructions for running Scan Disk, and then try defragmenting again.
This issue can occur if the Applog file in the hidden C:\Windows\Applog folder is damaged.
To resolve this issue, follow these steps:
- Right-click an empty area on the desktop, and then click Properties.
- On the Web tab, click Folder Options.
- Click Yes.
- On the View tab under Hidden files, click Show all files, and then click OK.
- Click Start, point to Find, and then click Files or Folders.
- In the Named box, type applog, click C: in the Look in box, click to select the Include subfolders check box, and then click Find Now.
- Double-click the Applog folder to open it.
- On the Edit menu, click Select all.
- On the File menu, click Delete, and then click Yes when you are prompted to confirm the deletion.
Article ID: 238165 - Last Review: 06/19/2014 06:04:00 - Revision: 3.0
- kbnosurvey kbarchive kbdefrag kbenv kberrmsg kbprb KB238165