"Login Failed" error when receiving email in Outlook for Mac 2011
When you try to receive email in Microsoft Outlook for Mac 2011, you receive the following error message:
Could not retrieve mail.
Account name: "Your account name/ISP"
Error code: - 17900
To resolve this issue, follow these steps: Step 1: Verify that you can connect on the web
First, test to see whether you can sign in by using the web-based application. For example, if you have a Gmail account, visit gmail.com, and then sign in.
If you can sign in, go to the next step. If you cannot sign in, contact your email client provider to obtain the correct user name and password. Step 2: Re-enter your user name and password
To re-enter your user name and password information, follow these steps:
- Open Outlook.
- On the Tools menu, click Accounts.
- On the left side of the window, select your email account.
- Enter the correct email address and the password.
- Verify that the listed "Incoming server" and "Outgoing server" are correct.
- Click the red button in the upper-left corner of the window to close the window.
Article ID: 2405605 - Last Review: 08/29/2011 14:53:00 - Revision: 2.1
- Microsoft Outlook for Mac 2011
- dftsdahomeportal KB2405605