- The FTP utility is run from the command prompt.
- After each description of how to perform a step in the typical FTP session is sample screen output from that part of the session.
- All FTP commands are case sensitive.
Opening an FTP Site
To open an FTP site, perform the following:
- At the command prompt, type the following:
ftp ServerNameNote that the prompt changes to ftp>.
- Type anonymous when prompted for the user.
- Type any password.
The "anonymous" user name is typically used to log on to FTP sites, particularly those that are not set up for users to copy files to. Usually, any text can be supplied for the password, including no text (just press the ENTER
key when prompted for the password).
C:\>ftp <ServerName>Connected to <ServerName>.220 <ServerName> Microsoft FTP Service (Version 4.0).User (<ServerName>:(none)): anonymous331 Anonymous access allowed, send identity (e-mail name) as password.Password:230 Anonymous user logged in.ftp>
Browsing the List of Files and Folders
To view the list of files and folders, type dir
at the ftp prompt.
ftp> dir200 PORT command successful.150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for /bin/ls.08-29-99 08:11PM 35 File1.txt08-29-99 08:11PM <DIR> Folder1226 Transfer complete.98 bytes received in 0.00 seconds (98000.00 Kbytes/sec)ftp>
To change to a different folder (also known as the working directory), use the cd
To change to the root folder, type either cd /
or cd \
. To change to the parent folder, use two periods (cd ..
ftp> cd folder1250 CWD command successful.ftp>
Copying a File From the FTP Site to Your Local Computer
To copy a file from the FTP site to your local computer, use the get
ftp> get file1.txt200 PORT command successful.150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for file1.txt(35 bytes).226 Transfer complete.35 bytes received in 0.16 seconds (0.22 Kbytes/sec)ftp>
Copying a File from your Local Computer to the FTP Site
To copy a file from your local computer to the FTP site, use the put
Most sites only allow users to do this if they have logged on using a specific, preassigned user name, NOT
the "anonymous" user.
ftp> put myfile.txt200 PORT command successful.150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for MyFile.txt.226 Transfer complete.36 bytes sent in 0.00 seconds (36000.00 Kbytes/sec)ftp>
Ending an FTP session
To end the FTP session, use the bye
For a full list of the commands and parameters that can be used with the FTP utility, perform the following:
- From the Start menu, click Help.
- Click the Index tab, and then type ftp utility.
- In the list box, double-click the ftp utility entry.
- For a list of all FTP commands, double-click the (untitled #0) entry. For a list of parameters available when starting the ftp utility, double-click the (untitled #0) entry.
(c) Microsoft Corporation 2000, All Rights Reserved. Contributions by Kevin Zollman, Microsoft Corporation.