Application error when you click Product Updates
This article was previously published under Q241122
When you try to access the Windows Update Web site, you receive you receive an application error message where the application name is listed as IEXPLORE and the module name is listed as Wuv3is.dll.
This problem occurs if the Wuv3is.dll file did not download correctly or if it has become corrupted.
To resolve this problem, follow these steps:
- Click Start, and then click Run.
- In the Open box, type regsvr32 /u wuv3is.dll, and then click OK.
- Delete the Wuv3is.dll file. To do so:
- Click Start, point to Find, and then click Files or Folders.
- Type wuv3is.dll in the Named box.
- When the file is found, right-click it, and then click Delete.
- Delete the contents of the Windows Update folder. To do so:
- Click Start, click Programs, and then click Windows Explorer.
- In the left pane, double-click the Program Files folder.
- In the left pane, double-click the Windows Update folder.
- In the right pane, click Wuhistv3.log, click Edit, and then click Invert Selection.
- Press DELETE, and then click Yes confirm.
Note If you delete the Wuhistv3.log file, the Windows Update download history is cleared. Microsoft does not recommend that you delete the Wuhistv3.log file. If you do so, you do not have a record of previous downloads. After you perform the procedure described in this section, you delete all files except for Wuhistv3.log.
Article ID: 241122 - Last Review: 01/25/2007 01:20:26 - Revision: 4.6
Microsoft Windows Update
- kbprb KB241122