WD97: Word Count Macro Available to Count Words in a Selection
This article was previously published under Q241316
This article has been archived. It is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
For a Microsoft Word 2000 version of this article, see 241333.
Microsoft has available a Selection Word Count macro that counts the words in the selected text. The macro also counts the words contained in footnotes and endnotes for the selected text that contains footnote or endnote references.
The following is an example of the dialog box that the Selection Word Count macro displays after you run the macro:
Total 45Number of words in main body 45Number of words in footnotes 0Number of words in endnotes 0
The Word Count feature currently available on the Tools menu in Word 97 allows you to count the number of words and characters in an entire document you are working on and gives you the option of including footnotes and endnotes. However, if you do a word count on a selection of text, then you cannot include footnotes and endnotes that are referenced in that selection.
Installing this macro gives you the option of counting the words in footnotes and endnotes for selected text that contains footnote or endnote references.
How to Obtain the Selection Word Count MacroThe Selection Word Count file, Swcmacro.exe, is available from the following Microsoft Web site:
How to Install the Selection Word Count MacroThe Selection Word Count macro can be installed in the Word startup folder, your default template (Normal.dot), or any template you prefer. If you run Word from a network, you may want to contact your network administrator to determine the best way to install this macro in your environment.
- Download the Swcmacro.exe file by clicking Download Now! at the top left of the Web page, and follow the instructions in the dialog boxes.
For example, after you click Download Now!, you are prompted with a message similar to the following:You have chosen to download a file from this location.
swcmacro.exe from m.officeupdate.microsoft.com
What would you like to do with this file?
- Click to select Save this program to disk and click OK.
- In the Save As dialog box, change the Save in box to the folder where you want to save the Swcmacro.exe file, and then click Save.
- After the download has completed, click Close to close the download dialog box.
- Double-click the Swcmacro.exe program file on your hard disk to start the Setup program.
- Word automatically opens a document that contains instructions on how to install the Selection Word Count macro. Make sure you choose Enable Macros if prompted.
IMPORTANT: If you have macro virus protection turned on, you will be prompted to disable macros when opening the Selection Word Count.dot template or when you install the Swcmacro.exe file. If you choose to disable macros, you will not be able to install the Word Count macros. Close and then reopen the Selection Word Count.dot template, or reinstall the Swcmacro.exe file, choosing Enable Macros when prompted.
- Read and follow the instructions carefully.
- Close the document when you are finished.
How to Use the Selection Word Count MacroThe Selection Word Count toolbar can be accessed like any other toolbar in Word. On the View menu, point to Toolbars, and then click to select Selection Word Count to turn the toolbar on. To turn it off, on the View menu, point to Toolbars, and then click to clear Selection Word Count.
To run the Selection Word Count macro, click the Selection Word Count button.
NOTE: You must have text selected before you click the Selection Word Count button, or the following message will be displayed:
Please select some text then rerun the Selection Word Count Macro.There are two check boxes in the dialog box that is displayed when you run the Selection Word Count macro, as follows:
- When the Include footnotes referenced in selection check box is selected, the number of words contained in the footnotes referenced in the selected text will be included in the total.
- When the Include endnotes referenced in selection check box is selected, the number of words contained in the endnotes referenced in the selected text will be included in the total.
How to Uninstall the Selection Word Count MacroIf the Selection Word Count macro was installed in the Startup folder, do the following to uninstall it:
- To find your Startup folder in Word, click Options on the Tools menu, and click to select the File locations tab.
NOTE: If you cannot see the full path to the Startup folder, click to select Startup in the File types list, and click Modify. Write down the full path to the Startup folder, and click Cancel.
By default, the Startup folder can be found at the following location:C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Startup
- Close the Options dialog box by clicking Cancel.
- On the File menu in Word, click Exit to quit Word.
- Right-click the Windows Start menu, and click Explore.
- In Windows Explorer, open the Startup folder you found in step 1 and delete Selection Word Count.dot.
- Close all open documents, but leave Word running.
- On the Tools menu, point to Macro, and then select Macros.
- Click Organizer.
- Click to select the Macro Project Items tab.
- The left box should say "In Normal.dot." If it does not, click Close File, and then click Open File. Select Normal.dot, and click Open.
- In the list box on the left, select SelectionWordCount and click Delete.
- Click to select Swcmacro.exe and then click Delete.
- Click to select the Toolbars tab.
- Click to select Selection Word Count and then click Delete.
- Click Close to quit the Organizer.
- Quit and restart Word.
Article ID: 241316 - Last Review: 12/05/2015 15:50:07 - Revision: 1.3
Microsoft Word 97 Standard Edition
- kbnosurvey kbarchive kbdownload kbinfo kbofficeupdate KB241316