The RPC Server is Unavailable When You Attempt to Add a Printer
This article was previously published under Q242079
When you attempt to add a printer to your Microsoft Windows NT-based computer, you may receive the following error message:
Operation could not be completed. The RPC server is unavailable.
This issue can occur if the Spoolss.exe and Spoolss.dll files are missing from the %SystemRoot%\System32 folder, or are damaged.
To resolve this issue:
- Copy the Spoolss.exe and Spoolss.dll files from another Windows NT 4.0-based server or workstation to the %SystemRoot%\System32 folder on the affected computer.
- Apply or reapply the latest appropriate Windows NT service pack, and then restart the computer.
- Set the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Service to start automatically:
- Click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then double-click Services.
- On the Service list, click Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Service, and then click Startup.
- Under Startup Type, click Automatic, and then click OK.
- Restart your computer.
remote procedure call
Article ID: 242079 - Last Review: 11/01/2006 03:35:40 - Revision: 1.1
- Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0 Standard Edition