When you try to save a document to OneDrive in Microsoft Word for Mac 2011, in Microsoft Excel for Mac 2011, or in Microsoft PowerPoint for Mac 2011 and you sign in by using a Windows Live ID, you receive the following error message:
User Name or password are incorrect
This behavior can occur for these reasons:
- You are entering an incorrect user name or an incorrect password.
- You do not have a Windows Live ID.
If you cannot sign in, follow these steps:
- Make sure that you enter your complete user name. A Windows Live ID resembles a complete email address. You must include the "at" sign ("@") sign and the domain name. For example: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Make sure that you type your password correctly, and that you do not substitute characters that look similar, such as the letter "O" for the number "0" (zero).
- Make sure that Caps Lock is turned off. Passwords are case-sensitive.
If you still cannot sign in, have your password sent to you. To do this, follow these steps:
- Visit the following Microsoft website and click Forgot your password:
Note You can visit any Windows Live website or Windows Live sign-in page to complete this step.
- Enter your email address and the characters in the picture, and then click Continue.
- Click Send yourself a password reset e-mail message.
- Click Send Message.
- Click Done.
- Access the email account to which you had the instructions sent, and then follow the instructions in the email message from Windows Live ID.
If you still cannot sign in, use Windows Live ID online help, https://account.live.com/password/reset
To learn more about Windows Live ID or to sign up, visit the following Microsoft website:
Article ID: 2445288 - Last Review: February 25, 2015 - Revision: 6.2
- Microsoft Excel for Mac 2011
- Microsoft PowerPoint for Mac 2011
- Microsoft Word for Mac 2011