You cannot use the mouse to draw a selection rectangle around multiple AutoShape objects in Microsoft Word
If a Microsoft Word 2010 or later document contains multiple AutoShape objects that are near one another, you cannot use the mouse to draw a selection rectangle around the objects.
To resolve this issue, use one of the following methods.
Method 1: Insert a drawing canvas before you insert any objects
If you always want the drawing canvas to appear when you insert AutoShape objects, follow these steps:
- On the File Menu, click Options.
- Click Advanced.
- Under Editing options, click to select the Automatically create drawing canvas when inserting AutoShapes check box.
- Click OK.
Method 2: Add a button to the Quick Access Toolbar
If you do not want the drawing canvas to be created automatically, you can add a button to the Quick Access Toolbar (QAT) to create the drawing canvas manually. To do this, follow these steps:
- On the Quick Access Toolbar drop-down menu, click More Commands.
- Click the drop-down menu under Choose commands from, and then click Commands Not in the Ribbon.
- Scroll through the list, click to select Insert Drawing, then click Add.
- Click OK.
The Insert Drawing
command is now added to the Quick Access Toolbar.
Method 3: Use the Ctrl key together with the mouse to select multiple AutoShape objects
- Click an AutoShape object.
- Press the Ctrl key.
- Click other AutoShape objects while you continue to press the Ctrl key.
Method 4: Use the Selection Pane
- Click an AutoShape object in your document.
- On the Drawing Tools menu, click Format.
- On the Arrange group, click Selection Pane.
The Selection Pane appears. The Selection Pane lets you select multiple AutoShape objects by using the steps in Method 3.
Method 5: In Word 2016 and Word 2013, use Select Objects
- On the Home tab, click Select and then click Select Objects.
- Use the mouse to draw a selection rectangle around the shapes.
Article ID: 2447096 - Last Review: 09/24/2015 04:19:00 - Revision: 2.0
- Word 2016
- Microsoft Word 2013
- Microsoft Word 2010