This article describes how to uninstall Internet Explorer.
Before you uninstall Internet Explorer, quit all running programs. For additional information about problems that can occur if you do not quit all runningprograms before uninstalling Internet Explorer 5, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Program Settings Lost After Internet Explorer Setup or Uninstall
When Internet Explorer 5.01 is installed over Internet Explorer 5, its uninstallation behavior will vary depending on whether the Internet Explorer 5 uninstallation information (used to restore the version of Internet Explorer prior to 5) is present. If the pre-Internet Explorer 5 uninstallation information is present, then uninstall will restore the system to the version of Internet Explorer that you had prior to installing Internet Explorer 5. However, if no Internet Explorer uninstallation information is present prior to installing Internet Explorer 5.01 over Internet Explorer 5, then uninstall will restore Internet Explorer 5 on the computer.
The following chart lists the various upgrade scenarios and the IE 5.01 uninstallation behavior that can occur in each case:
|Previous Version||Uninstallation Information||Uninstallation Results|
|Internet Explorer 3.x||n/a||Internet Explorer 3.x|
|Internet Explorer 4.x||n/a||Internet Explorer 4.x|
|Internet Explorer 5||exists||Pre-Internet Explorer 5 version|
|Internet Explorer 5||doesn't exist||Internet Explorer 5|
|Windows 98 (Internet Explorer 4)||n/a||Windows 98 (Internet Explorer 4)|
|Windows 98 SE (Internet Explorer 5)||n/a||Windows 98 SE (Internet Explorer 5)|
Once you have uninstalled Internet Explorer 5.01, it will not be possible to uninstall the prior version of Internet Explorer that is left on the computer. For additional information about how to manually uninstall Internet Explorer4 or 5, click the article numbers below to view the articles in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
How to Manually Uninstall Internet Explorer 4.0
How to Manually Uninstall Internet Explorer 4.0 for Windows NT
How to Manually Uninstall Internet Explorer 5 for Windows 95
If you uninstall Internet Explorer 5.01, you should view one of the following Microsoft Web sites to download any security updates that are needed for the version of Internet Explorer that is left on the computer:
To uninstall Internet Explorer 5.01 for Microsoft Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, or Windows NT 4.0:NOTE
: You must have administrative privileges to install and uninstall Internet Explorer 5.01 in Windows NT. This includes having administrative privileges the first time you start your computer after installing or uninstalling Internet Explorer 5.01.
- Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
- Double-click Add/Remove Programs, and then click the Install/Uninstall tab.
- In the list of installed programs, click Microsoft Internet Explorer 5 and Internet Tools, and then click Add/Remove.
- Click Restore the previous Windows configuration, or click Advanced to specify any additional components you want to remove.
- Click OK, and then the "Internet Explorer 5 and Internet Tools" Setup screen appears. This portion of Setup is referred to as the "Maintenance" mode.
- When Setup starts, click OK to restore the previous version of Internet Explorer and shared components. You are prompted to verify that you want to restore the previous version. Click Yes to start the uninstallation process. When the uninstallation process finishes, click Restart Windows when you are prompted to do so.
Known Issues with Uninstalling Internet Explorer 5.01
Uninstalling Internet Explorer 5.01 Deletes Security Settings
Uninstalling Internet Explorer 5.01 Removes Outlook Express
Radio Toolbar Missing After You Uninstall Internet Explorer 5.01
'Always Show Internet Explorer Radio Bar' Option Missing
Internet Explorer 5 and Internet Tools Entry Missing