Description of the update for Microsoft Silverlight: December 15, 2010
Microsoft Silverlight is a cross-browser, multi-environment plug-in that delivers the next generation of Microsoft .NET–based media experiences and rich interactive applications for the web. This article describes Silverlight 4 general distribution release version 4.0.51204.0. This update was released on December 15, 2010.
This update fixes the following issues.
Issue 1Foreign diacritical marks are not displayed in a TextBox control or in a RichTextBox control in an Out-of-Browser (OOB) application on a Macintosh computer.
Note A diacritic is a special mark added to a letter to indicate a different pronunciation, stress, tone, or meaning. Acute and grave accents, tildes, and cedillas are examples of diacritics.
Issue 2Before you apply this update, a Silverlight 4 OOB application can enable an update only when the application is signed by matching certificates that have not expired.
This update relaxes this restriction. After you apply the update, an OOB application can enable an update if the following conditions are true:
- Both the new application and the old application have valid signatures.
- The new application is signed by a trusted certificate.
- The Subject and the Issuer of the certificate that is used to sign the new application match those of the certificate that is used to sign the old application.
Installation informationThis update is available from the following sources.
Microsoft Silverlight siteThe Silverlight installer includes all earlier updates in addition to this update. To install the latest version of Silverlight, visit the following Microsoft website: Note to developers If you are a software developer who creaes Silverlight applications and you want to update to the developer runtime to this general distribution release version 4.0.51204. Download and install the appropriate Silverlight Developer Runtime for:
Microsoft UpdateThis update is also available to users of Microsoft Update. If you have an earlier version of Silverlight installed, this update will be offered as “Update for Microsoft Silverlight (KB 2477244).”
Note This update will be detected by Microsoft Update Agent if "Update for Microsoft Silverlight (KB 2477244)" is suitable for your computer. If you want to download it manually, visit the following Microsoft website:
Get Microsoft Silverlight
How to uninstall SilverlightTo uninstall Silverlight, visit the following Microsoft website, and then click Uninstall Silverlight:
How to hide this update so that it does not appear again
- Click Start, point to All Programs, and then click either Windows Update or Microsoft Update.
- Click Custom.
- Click to clear the check box that is next to the update that you want to hide.
- Expand the update that you want to hide, and then click to clear the Do Not show this update again check box.
Windows Vista and Windows 7
- Click Start, point to All Programs, and then click either Windows Update.
- Click Check for updates.
- After the scan for updates is complete, click the Optional updates are available link.
- In the Select the updates you want to install section, right-click the update that you want to hide, and then click Hide update.
- Click OK.
For more information about Silverlight, visit the following Microsoft websites:
Tech Reviewer: sarahlin;andyriv
Tech Reviewer: sarahlin;andyriv
Article ID: 2477244 - Last Review: 01/13/2011 07:10:00 - Revision: 2.0
Microsoft Silverlight 4
- kbfix kbexpertiseadvanced kbinfo atdownload kbcip kbsurveynew KB2477244