This article explains how to create a simple test advertisement.
The key to success is to quickly and efficiently create an advertisement that tests the capabilities of System Management Server (SMS) without complications. A simple, straight-forward approach is the best way to quickly troubleshoot to see if the services, accounts and processes are working.
Using a simple program is the cornerstone to success. You can create a text file with a short sentence contained inside, or you can make a batch file that runs a display such as, "Hello."Note
Do not use Notepad.exe. Notepad only works with Microsoft Windows NT computers, and not with Microsoft Windows 95/98 computers.
The preferred test application is Testapp.exe. On earlier versions of SMS 2.0, Testapp.exe is located on the SMS 2.0 CD at the following location:
For more recent versions of SMS 2.0, the application can be found by installing the SMS 2.0 Support Tools. These tools may be installed from the SMS 2.0 CD-ROM by running \Support\Support.exe. By default, the application will be copied to:
\Program Files\SMS 2.0 Support Tools\Bin\i386\Software Distribution ToolsNote
The Testapp.exe program does not exist on the SMS 2003 RC1 Setup CD. Therefore, the information in this paragraph about the location of Testapp.exe does not apply to SMS 2003 RC1.
To Create a Simple Test Advertisement
- On the primary parent site server create a directory off of the root of the C: drive, called TEST.
- Copy Testapp.exe from the CD or from the SMS 2.0 Support Tool folder to C:\TEST
- Use the Distribution Wizard
Using the Distribution Wizard
Use the Distribution Wizard to create a new Package, Advertisement and Collection to ensure that there are no old settings or modifications that could cause problems. The new collection will be targeted at one workstation. Again, simplicity is the key to testing. Your target workstation should be as close to the primary parent site server as possible. It is best to not
choose a system that is across a WAN link for this first run.
Instructions for the Primary Parent Site
- Open the SMS Administrator MMC.
- Open Site Database-->Collections-->All Systems.
- On the Details window on the right side, right-click a system that is closest to the Site Server.
- Click All Tasks, and then Distribute Softwareto start the wizard.
- Click Next on the first Welcome screen.
- Choose Create a new package and program in the Package dialog box. Click Next.
- In the Name: box type Test Application. You do not need to fill out the rest of the form. Click Next.
- Select Create a compressed version of the source from the Source Files window.
- For Source Directory, choose Local drive on site server, and then click Browse for the source directory.
- Open the C: drive, and then click TEST. Click OK, and then click Next.
- Click to select only your Site Server in the Distribution Points window, and then click Next.
- In the Product Distribution window, next to Name:, type Testapp, and then at Command Line:, click Browse to select Testapp.exe, and then click Open (do not type it in, be sure to use "browse"). Click Next.
- In the Program Properties window click to unselect User input required. None of the check boxes in this window should have a check mark in them. Again, keep it simple.
- Make sure Yes is selected in the Advertise a Program dialog box, and click Next.
- Use the default settings of Create a new collection containing this resource and advertise this program to the new collection, and then click Next.
- Accept the default in the Name text box, and then click Next.
- Do not change the settings in the Membership Rule window, and then click Next.
- Keep the default in the Name box in the Advertisement Name dialog box, and then click Next.
- In the Advertise to Subcollection keep the default settings of Advertise the program to members of the subcollections as well, and then click Next.
- At the Advertisement Schedule window, verify that it has today's date and set the time to 10 minutes in the future. Select No. The advertisement never expires, and then click Next.
- At the Assign Program window, accept the default of No. Do not assign the program, and then click Next.
- Click Finish at the Completing Distribution Software Wizard window to complete the wizard.Wait about 15 to 20 minutes for the Advertisement to be pushed out to the distribution point because in step 20, you set the Advertisement to start 10 minutes in the future and another 5 to 10 minutes is needed to allow the whole process to complete.
Instructions for the Target Client
- Open Control Panel, and then Advertise Programs Monitor. Press F5, and the screen will stay blank, but the client will go up and check for new advertisements.
- Next, open Control Panel, Advertise Programs, and then run Testapp.
To be aware of what is occurring, look at Site Database-->Site Status-->Advertisement Status
and refresh the window often.
When you see a "1" in the Received
column of the Testapp advertisement, you can go to the client and run the Advertisement Programs applet which is located in the Control Panel.